Friday, April 20, 2012

Wunderkammer

Our sixth project is entitled "Wunderkammer" which translates from German to Wonder room, or Curiosity Cabinet. It is meant as a way to display a collection, and in keeping with the trend of past projects I had no idea what to do, because I don't really collect anything. I thought about displaying video games and game related stuff, but that just didn't seem good enough to me. Eventually, I realized that I do actually have a bit of a collection of Coheed and Cambria memorabilia.

Once I knew what I was going to put in it, I had to find something to put it in. I looked all over for a suitable cabinet, going to thrift shops, and furniture stores to no avail. I eventually just went to Hobby Lobby to see if I could find anything there and I found the shadow boxes in the framing area. These are basically frames for three dimensional objects and would work perfectly.

I have every album Coheed and Cambria have released, with their first on both CD and limited edition vinyl repressing, and their second signed by the band. Their fifth album deluxe edition came with a book entitled Year of the Black Rainbow that tells the first chapter of the science fiction story that the lead singer writes, called The Amory Wars. I also have a book that contains all issues of the comic form of the second chapter of The Amory Wars. On top of that, I have the Black Card from pre-ordering the fifth album deluxe edition that allowed me early access to concert venues for a year, and a Fan VIP Pass from the limited edition repressing of their first album.
As much as I already have, this is definitely still a growing collection, because if they release it, I'm going to buy it. There will be comic forms of every chapter of the story, as well as novelizations of them, and they will definitely be on my shelf.

Some might call it an obsession.



No comments:

Post a Comment