Thursday, January 19, 2012

3D "Me" Glasses

Our first project was to create a pair of glasses that could be worn that utilizes elements that describe our personality. I immediately thought of my love for technology and music and knew I wanted to incorporate both in some way. I thought for some time before remembering an old, useless computer that my dad had brought in that was now just sitting in our laundry room taking up space.

I decided to use the motherboard of the computer as the main material for my glasses... which proved to be quite an undertaking. I neglected to take a picture of my motherboard, but it looked very much like this; complete with connectors, transistors, resistors, and all sorts of other components. I used pliers to pry and rip most of the things off of the surface, but some I even had to chisel off with a screwdriver and hammer. This was likely the most time consuming part of the entire process. Luckily, it also gave me time to just relax and watch some Netflix.

Once I got it down to the bare circuit board, I was able to start my designing process.  I, of course, didn't want to overdo it and make my design too complicated, so I simply recalled an old pair of 3D glasses (the blue/red kind) that I had that were made of paper and essentially copied the design of them. They were just two identical ear pieces with a simple, flat front with eye holes cut out, and due to working with a very resilient material, that seemed to be the best course of action. Also, the circuit board covered my fondness of technology in general, but I also needed something to convey that music is an important part of my life as well. I consulted one of my friends who then suggested adding headphones in somewhere. It just so happened that I had recently bought a pair of ear bud headphones that didn't live up to the expectations, so I decided to wrap the cords around the ear pieces and glue the ear buds themselves so that they could still be inserted in the ears. (As you can see, I didn't try very hard on the ear bud drawing.)

One part of the process I was worried about was cutting the shapes out, but it actually went very smoothly. For future reference, tin snips work great on circuit board for straight lines. To cut out the eye holes, nose area, and the angled part of the ear pieces I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel and it just sailed right through no problem! I was very pleased with the efficiency.  In order to attach the ear pieces to the front I used small brass hinges so that they could freely open and close.
Once I had the pieces assembled I cut off the sharp
tips of the screws and added the finishing touch of the
spiraling headphone wires, and... voila!
The finished product:


No comments:

Post a Comment